Friday, March 14, 2008

My Thoughts on Martin Luther King Day







Originally written on Monday, Januray 21, 2008
Originally posted at www.myspace.com/dallas_cowboys_nfl
In honor of Martin Luther King Day, I would like to extend my best wishes to all my friends on Myspace, no matter what your color, creed, or nationality. We are all brothers and sisters of the human race and deserving of honor, respect, and love.

I heard or read something years ago that meant a lot to me. Unfortunately, I can't remember the source of this idea but it's something that I have always remembered. So many people in this world are prejudiced toward others due to their color, nationality, religion, etc. It would be great if we could all overcome our prejudices, but unfortunately, some never will. I don't hate those people for being prejudiced, I simply feel sorry for them.

The quote that I will always remember is this:

"You can't reason the prejudice out of someone, as it was never reasoned into them to begin with."

Personally, I love that quote. Prejudice is not a rational belief or idea. It is something that makes no sense and sadly, rather than enriching our lives, it is something that makes us all the poorer for holding on to it.

Just something to think about.

No comments: